In February 2021, Whiteside appointed Kory Wilson and Catherine McGregor as special advisers to review the governance practices of the Prince George Board of Education. Wilson and McGregor have submitted their final report, which outlines concerns in the school district, including educational outcomes for Indigenous students, relationships with First Nations communities, allocation of resources and strategic planning.
Beginning immediately, former Prince George School District superintendent Rod Allen will join McGregor and Wilson as a special advisory team to work with the board to:
- ensure trustees understand the recommendations set out by Wilson and McGregor;
- draft a work plan that details how the board will address the recommendations;
- improve district financial planning, including aligning finances with board priorities
- improve staffing resources;
- improve relationships with local First Nations; and
- implement the work plan, as necessary.
The special advisers will submit a final report to outline the progress made by the board in meeting government’s expectations in March 2022.
The Prince George Board of Education is required to report every two months on its progress, until March 31, 2022. The board’s reporting must include:
- the completion date of the work plan;
- the consultations that informed the work plan, including those with local First Nations;
- the timelines for implementation of the work plan; and
- outcomes from implementing the workplan
At the conclusion of this work, the minister will assess the situation and determine next steps.
The School Act enables the minister of education to appoint special advisers to review the activities, performance, and/or other matters of a board of education. Government can also replace an entire board with an official trustee.
Under the School Act, special advisers may enter schools and district offices, and can inspect any record of the board.
To read McGregor and Wilson’s report: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/download/0A81325EE6DA44AFA44C85BDF5D9F7A7
Please Visit Our Sponsors